“To every man, there comes in his lifetime that special moment when he is tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing, unique and fitted to his talents. What a tragedy if that moment finds him unprepared and qualified for the work that would be his finest hour.”
– Sir Winston Churchill –
- Hard Skills vs. Soft Skills
- Most Basic Survival Skillsets
- More Advanced Skillsets
If you have experience as a Boy Scout, member of the military, police officer, firefighters, or in the medical profession then you are fortunate to have experience with first-aid, self-defense, survival, using tools, etc.
Soft Skills vs. Hard Skills:
Soft skills are skillsets that will most often keep you out of trouble. Think awareness and observation. Soft skills are passive in the sense that no one will ever know that you are practicing them.
Hard skill are used when the situation gets loud and painful (shooting skills, combative skills, etc.).
Mundane soft skills might include:
- Understanding the OODA Loop and Cooper’s Color Codes
- Thinking proactively when it comes to simple equipment and travel plans
- Comprehension of the Attack Cycle
- Risk midigation
- Ability to perceive improvised weapons — where they are and a willingness to use them.
- A basic understanding of surveillance (so that you will know when you are being watched).
More esoteric soft skills might include:
- Establishing multiple rally points (RP) and counter-surveillance measure with your whole group.
You should attempt to master the items on the following basic prepper skills list:
- Basic first-aid and CPR
- Drive a vehicle with a manual transmission
- Basic self-defense
- How to use a fire-extinguisher
- How to read a map
- How to change your car tire
- Jumpstart your car battery
The following skillsets will make you a valuable to any prepper group.
- Advanced medical training
- Advanced self defense
- Mechanical, plumbing, or electrical
- Speak another language
- How to grow and can food
- How to raise livestock
- How to communicate with HAM radio equipment
- Gun-fighting and security tactics
- Wilderness survival
- How to drive a boat
- How to drive a motorcycle
- How to fly an aircraft