- Basic Bartering Rules of Thumb
- Items That You Can Barter
- Services and Teachable Skills That You Can Barter
- Rethinking Bartering
Basic Bartering Rules of Thumb:
As suggested in the May/June 2015 issue of Survivalist magazine:
- Engage your bartering partner.
- Do not be intimidated and always show you are on equal footing through body language.
- Exude confidence and ease to make yourself and your partner comfortable.
- Ask questions.
- Demonstrate flexibility.
- Be specific, transparent and fair throughout the process.
- Do not cheat your partner or allow yourself to be cheated.
- Produce a win/win scenario.
back to top
Items That You Can Barter:
- hard candy
- coffee & tea
- prescription meds
- alcohol (vodka, apart from drinking, can also be used as a topical antiseptic)
- tobacco and cigarette rolling supplies
In a long-term disaster, boredom becomes a silent killer.
- decks of cards
- paperback books on a variety of subjects
- crossword puzzle books, Sudoku
- sports equipment
Personal / Sanitary Items:
- toilet paper
- feminine care
- dental care
- diapers & baby care
- disposable razors and razor blades
- Vinegar and baking soda to use in DIY cleaning supplies
- Empty spray bottles and squirt bottles
Tools & Repair Items:
- knives of various types including fixed blades, kitchen knives, and box cutters.
- hand tools
- heavy plastic sheeting and tarps
- sewing and mending supplies
- knitting or crochet needles and yarn
- hand pumps for both air and liquids
- pepper spray
- protective gear
Food & Water:
- water filters
- purification tablets
- heirloom seeds
- condiments and Spices
- prescription drugs
- cough syrup
- cortisone cream
- calamine lotion
- topical pain relievers
- essential oils
- first-aid kits
- Latex or Nitrile gloves in a variety of sizes
Other Practical Items:
- fuel, any and all kinds (gas, diesel, propane, kerosene)
- solar battery charger and rechargeable batteries
- disposable batteries
- fire making supplies, including lighters, matches, flint fire steel
- bags, including large garbage bags as well as smaller zip-close bags
- clothing and shelter materials
- Mylar blankets and tents
- hand warmers
- fishing supplies
- pencils & paper
back to top
Services and Teachable Skills That You Can Barter:
Food Preparation Skills:
- processing and curing wild game
- proper food storage
- water purification
- fire building
- blade sharpening
- wood gathering and cutting
- shelter building
- auto repair
- small engine repair
- essential oil application
back to top