List of First Aid Skills That You Need To Have
Goals of First Aid
Reducing Individual Risk
Reducing Group Risk
First Aid Resources
List of First Aid Skills You Need To Have:
- How to perform Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- How to stop severe bleeding
- How to treat shock
- How to treat burns
- How to splint broken bones
- How to treat electrical shock
- How to treat snake and insect bites
Goals of First Aid:
- Protect a person who is injured or ill from further harm.
- Stop life threatening medical emergencies. (Keep the airway open. Maintain breathing and circulation. Stop serious bleeding. Treat for shock.)
- Get the person under professional medical care.
Reducing Individual Risk:
- Stay in good physical condition so that you are ready for the demands of the activities you enjoy.
- Know where you are going and what to effect.
- Adjust clothing layers to match changing conditions.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Protect yourself from exposure to the sun, biting insects, and poisonous plants.
- Take care of your gear.
Reducing Group Risk:
- Review and practice first-aid skills and techniques on a regular basis.
- Take responsibility for having a safe experience.
- Be sure that everyone understands and follows group guidelines established to minimize risk.
- Ensure everyone has a say in recognizing and dealing with risks that might arise.
Good Samaritan laws legally protect anyone making a good-faith effort to help the victim of an injury or illness. When you are confronted in a first-aid emergency, use your skills to the best of your ability. No one expects you to have the knowledge of a physician.
First Aid Resources: